Once upon a time I had created a list of hints for losing weight – my students have added to the list and so now is the time for an update! Please leave your comments here as well.
- Use small plates to control portion – even at a buffet or dinner time using a salad plate instead of a dinner sized plate will automatically lead to portion control.
- No eating after 7pm – your digestive fire or Agni is strongest at noon so that is the best time for a large meal. Also, a fully digested meal won’t interfere with your sleep!
- Always use a plate or bowl – never, ever, ever eat out of a bag or box. If you see how much you eat, you will eat less!
- Avoid distracted eating – like in the car, watching tv, at the computer or even (Nancy broke my heart with this one) while reading. Sigh…my favorite lunchtime activity…
- Cut out soda – even diet. Sorry folks, you can enjoy an occasional soda but the sugar content is incredibly harmful and the artificial sweeteners are neurotoxins. Ever get a headache after drinking a diet soda or soft drink? Not only that but the acid content literally melts our bones like chalk in vinegar.
- And finally – CHEW. Swami Veda told us always to “Chew your liquids and drink your solids.” This makes for slower eating, digestion is allowed to begin in the mouth – as it should – and you will feel full without overeating. Try 27 times a bite. It’s not easy but if you love your body, its health and want to have more energy this is key.
I wish you wellness!